Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Orientationing

Welp, the second to last day of orientation is over, and ím coping with most things better today than the previous 3 days.



basically, its just how-to´s on teaching english and the grammar and dealing with miscreants. but were leaving on friday for our cities, and my great roomie, ellie, has already found us a sweet 3 bedroom apartment! its going to be me, ellie, and trey...this will be my first time to live with a male. wait, no it wont. wes and i shared a bathroom, and todd and i did too. thats sharing. so nevermind. but anyways, trey seems really sweet and innocent and quiet and reserved. his girlfriend is studying abroad in paris this semester, so hes excited to see her a bunch.

soo, still trying to get over jet lag. food is hilarious, but for the most part good. lots of seafood and breads. the coffee is AMAZING and strong. but again, my bowels can only handle so much.

okay, it´s thursday now, so this is written over the span of two days. this morning was hard on me again, but i definitely got my best night´s sleep last night. by hard i mean i was lost in translation of cultures...or something. so, during our first session of orientation this morning, i wrote an emo poem to God. i dont know if im ready to post it, but just know that if you pray to God...the one who sent Jesus to atone for us...the One who loves us and knows us more than any human ever could...I would be so grateful if you could send up una oracion por mi alma. its just difficult to know how to be a ´light´ ...yet, or here, or amongst these peeps. seriously. in China i had a role to uphold, i was focused, and by the grace of God i was intensely motivated for the sake of Christ every single day. Here, i really have no clue what my daily role is going to look like, and believing that "actions speak louder than words" is like holding my breath underwater right now. it can only last a minute or two before you have to come up for a breath, and finally re-submerge. do I impose my lifestyle on people verbally? do i hang out and smile while the others are smoking pot? do i join in the topics of conversation that 99% of the time deal with either sex, fashion, drugs, or alcohol...just to "assimilate" without judging?

i dont know. week 1, already confused. no so much worried, just realizing being an ambassador for Christ doesn´t always mean that I can tag team. maybe i´m han-solo right now because i need to up my ante for Him. I sure hope so.

aight, ill post more interesting things once i get to Malaga! and hopefully some sweet pics. peace, love, and crabs.

4 comments:

Katy said...

Ay, mi amor, voy pedir que Cristo te de paz para tu alma y tu estomago también. Te quiero mucho.

Temomma said...

Hey babycakes! I love your blog but mainly your heart! Brother, Wes wouldn't appreciate you forgetting him...

He gave me an analogy once that may be useful to you now: He said that a fire full of coals burns brightly, but when you take one coal out and leave it alone, it eventually burns out. We all need each other. The body of Christ was designed to work together. I encourage you to find a church soon. In all the places we have lived, or I have traveled, God has shone me that there are true believers everywhere! You are a light everywhere you go, and I am sure that Jesus will become more real and vital to you through this experience, but we need people.

I can't wait to read about Malaga!!Love you to pieces,
Proud Momma

J Cherry said...

Lat!

Hey love. When you talk about being in orientation i picture it like where we were in Dallas in preparation for China. In a cold huge room and us tracing the designs of the note pads the hotel gave us. Blah. Hopefully it wasn't as bad.

I can't even imagine what you're feeling, what you're bowels are feeling, etc. Know that I'm reading/listening and praying. It's cool to hear the blessings around you (ellie, apt showing up). As far as knowing how to talk and relate to these people I say to rest in the Lord. I know that's easy to say right now but know that you have the ability to speak your mind when you know it is time to speak and to speak through actions (you've had that all through rowing) when you know it is time to do so. I feel like you have the ability to distinguish the two. I think that you are great at that.

I've seen you have incredible influences on those around you. I know that God will use you over there. As for now, rest in Him. Take in your surroundings, see His blessings around you, know that He is guiding you and knows you don't know what the crap you are doing.

I love you so much Lat.

Broun Stacy said...

Love,
the wrestling itself is GOOD. Like Jacob i hope you grab hold of Jesus and don't let go even at the expense of being injured or feeling lost in translation. Indeed you are found, hidden in Christ, seated in the heavenlies right now. I have been comforted recently by a couple things with these highschoolers (aka younger version of "the world" you are now facing)... One is that Paul placed little confidence in Himself or in His ability (Check 1 Cor 2:1-7). We impart the secret hidden wisdom of God on streetcorners, in those conversations. The Second comes from Psalm 50 where the beautiful sovereign hand of Jesus shines. But more than your convo's or "service" her seems to want thansgiving. The very thing you seem to be oosing with in acknowledging the beauty of the atonement in Christ. Your in a great spot love. Near to me as always....