Saturday, March 14, 2009

Marching Along, eh!

whew. sorry about playing catch-up (and subsequently apologizing) on every single bloggage. my life is moving at too-rapid a rate! wait, not really. it's quite the opposite. 

I'm really happy right now.
I'm confident.
I'm at peace.
I'm feeling like a large blanket has been laid before me-literally everywhere i step.

My mom, aunt, and grandma just recently visited during our "semana blanca"--a week off of school only given to the province of Malaga solely to 'make up' for the accumulated festival days of other provinces. Thus, we, the province of Malaga, are now even (and out of reasons to take off work). 
Anyway, during that week, we spent time getting over each other's 'innate quirks' to better bask in the glory that is London, Paris, and Barcelona. Really, traveling 8+ hours in a plane, and ending up in a foreign country with female family members (one who fainted on the plane) makes you immediately more thankful for the [also] immediate comfort of family love (not to mention our similar awe of our Father and Savior--HUGE plus). 
**disclaimer: I only travelled (british spelling for obvious reasons) 2 1/2 hrs by plane, but because I'm not a fan of moving vehicles, it felt like 8+. So, I'm putting myself in the other ladies' shoes/gurney.**
It was a great time. My mom did a phenomenal job of planning events(we saw WICKED! on the first night--great surprise!). Tena was fantastic at getting into trouble (i.e. she sat in a showroom car worth 6 mil GBP). and Mame(grandmother/Queen Mother) was a highlight for several reasons (one being when we taught her the acronym A.K.A.), and made us laugh throughout all our fearful and ridiculous situations. I love them more than 6 mil GBP.

I could dedicate this blog to telling all the hilarity that ensued that week, but instead maybe i'll just say: "inquire within". <-- that's probably the ANTI-theme of American businesses right now, no?

School has been a lot better this semester. I can't turn a corner without a group of at least 15 kids saying "hillo Lit-ney!!". It's so cute! They are definitely growing on me. Quick story of what happened in P.E. last week with my little babies (12 yr olds):
girl: "Hola Litney!! No puedo hacerlo hoy porque tengo problemas con mi rojo."
me: "Con tu rojo? Que es?"
girl:"Si, ...sabes que es mi regla? I .... hiff prollems ... 14 inch ruler!!"
me:"OOOOOH, ok. vale. gracias por contarme".
basically, in Spain, they call their period "la regla" which translates to "ruler" in English...so, first she calls it her "red", then tries to translate "regla" into English with "14-inch ruler". Hilarious. Love them.

Another semi-funny thing that happened early this semester in the same class--I was giving them a test over material they had supposedly studied on muscles/bones/parts of the body. So i asked them [what i thought meant] "take out a sheet of paper". In Mexico, the phrase for "sheet of paper" is "hoja de papel". In Spain, it's "folio de papel". I said "follo de papel".
NOTE: folio (foh-lee-o) sounds VERY similar to follo (foh-yo), especially when you say them quickly. 
Little did I know, "follo" is the I-form of the verb follar. Follar = the F word. oops. 
What Would Jesus Do????? haha!

Over all, relationships are a lot closer, more important, and relevant to every day than in the fall. This, obviously, allows for better conversation, and trust. I shouldn't be surprised, but the people I expected to be/WERE the least vulnerable with me, have been the people to open up the most these past 2 months. In some ways, it makes me nervous, but HECK, i've got to have intent in my step always if i'm reppin' Jesus!

March seems to be going by at snail-pace, but that hasn't taken away from my enjoying the company of roommates, and a fun weekly schedule of good people, good food, great peace, and the glorious sun to bathe in --in the 70 degree weather on the Mediterranean. =) 
I just read a great quote by C.S. Lewis about how surprised we as humans seem to be about the essence and passing of time. It either "flies" or "creeps", and we're always surprised. He says something about how obvious it is that we were made for eternity, without bounds, because of the discomfort and surprise we have by being in this "box" of time.  I think he's a genius.

I'll post more at the end of this month, because i'll have visitors in approx. 15 hours! Dad and Morgan are flying their booties over the Atlantic toNIGHT! I'm really excited. I've been cleaning, buying food, washing clothes, etc. like a maniac. I almost feel like buying new things for the apartment just so I can decorate and show off my "cozy" environment. Hopefully they won't feel the horrible springs in their backs when they try to sleep here! =)


I'll leave you with some simplicity of faith: Remember this when you think you're above the law and/or God. 

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
"And without faith, it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."
Hebrews 11:1,6



Love me some peace. and some March. Welcome, Spring!



No comments: